Previous WeekWeek 5Next Week
ENJOY WHOLE GRAINS
This Week's Goal: I will eat 3 or more servings daily of whole grains.
Go for the Whole Grain.
AICR’s Third Expert Report found strong evidence that eating whole grains daily lowers cancer risk.
What is a whole grain?
- Whole grains contain the grain’s three edible parts: bran, germ and endosperm
- Compared to processed or refined grains, whole grains have more vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals because the bran, germ and endosperm are left intact
- Fiber in whole grains helps you fill up more quickly and stay full longer, making it easier for you to eat for a healthy weight and lower cancer risk.
Focus on replacing refined grain foods you eat, such as white bread, white rice and refined ready-to-eat breakfast cereals, with WHOLE-grain foods:
- Swap your refined breakfast cereal for a high-fiber, whole-grain cereal that contains at least 5 grams of dietary fiber
- Replace white bread with bread labeled as 100% whole-wheat bread
- Try quick cooking whole-wheat couscous or whole-grain angel hair spaghetti as a base for stir fries and thick stews
Unlock The Challenge.
Sign up or log-in to unlock the full breakdown of the Healthy10 weekly challenge content such as goals, guidance, tips, tools, recipes and more!Accept The Challenge
or Log In